Gold Rush Trail Logo

space
Lower Mainland
Fraser Canyon
Interior
Lillooet

"Ma" Margaret Murray

Margaret L. Murray (credit: Keddell, 1967) Margaret "Ma" Murray, ran the Bridge River - Lillooet News from the 1930s (credit: Keddell, Georgina, The Newspapering Murrays, McMillan and Stewart, 1967)

The Murrays arrived in Lillooet in the 1930s to start the Bridge River/ Lillooet News. In the 1940's, George, a Liberal Member, became MLA. "Ma", as Margaret Murray became known, was noted for her outspoken political views, so much so that the paper was continuously being sued. In later years Margaret Murray was honored for her work, receiving the Order of Canada in 1971. (Encyclopedia of B.C., p.478)


to contents




| Home| Lower Fraser| Fraser Canyon | Clinton | Barkerville | Text TOC | Indexes | Team |

Living Landscapes home
All text and images © Quesnel & District Museum and Archives unless otherwise noted. Thanks to the B.C. Archives for permission to show various images. Thanks to the BC Encyclopedia for permission to quote information on the roadhouse communities. Thanks to the Living Landscapes Project, the Royal British Columbia Museum, Ministry of Community, Aboriginal and Women's Services for their support of site development.