Tool Caddy from Cottonwood Ranch
This tool caddy demonstrates the ingenuity of the early settlers as items were repurposed and materials did not go to waste.
It is made from an empty tea box and has been modified with 2 dividers, creating four compartments, and a very simple handle. The printed label adds an attractive decorative element. On one side the label reads "Choicest New Season's Kaisow Congou, MM No 1 Keum Heong." In fine print we learn that the tea was imported by M J Brandenstein & Co., San Francisco California. This helps us date the box since this company only began using this name in 1894, after a change in partnership. Ads for this brand of tea ran frequently in the Victoria Daily Colonist in 1895. This is just one of about 60 items that were acquired by the Historical Society from the Cottonwood House warehouse in the 1950s and were among the first items in the Museum's collection.