The Cariboo Observer began publication on August 29th 1908 in Quesnel, B.C., serving the communities of Ashcroft, Quesnel and Barkerville. In September 1949 it absorbed the Wells-Barkerville Chronicle. It continued as a weekly newspaper until October 1979. In November 1979 it became a bi-weekly publication, reverting to a weekly format between September 1984 and May 1990.
To celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Cariboo Observer, the Quesnel and District Museum and Archives initiated a project to create a digital archive and provide access to the newspaper on line. Currently the years 1908 – 2015 are available. The digitization is based on the papers in the collections of the Quesnel and District Museum and Archives and the British Columbia Legislative Library. Approximately 40 issues are missing because no copy has been located.
This project was made possible with the support of: